FREE US SHIPPING ON ORDERS $75+

Dermaplaning - The Difference Your Skin Needs

Dermaplaning - The Difference Your Skin Needs

I LOVE to dermaplane in my professional skincare treatments. I love it for so many reasons - it instantaneously brightens the skin, it prepares the skin for a much more effective exfoliation and watching the removal of dead surface skin cells and vellus hair is just so darn satisfying. My clients love it too - they are always amazed at how much we are able to remove. Let's talk about why dermaplaning is such a game changer.

What is Dermaplaning?

Dermaplaning is a non-invasive, manual and physical form of exfoliation. In the professional treatment room, a trained esthetician uses a dermaplaning tool (which looks like a scalpel) to gently remove the dead skin cells that sit on the surface of the skin. In doing so, the technique also removes vellus hair (aka peach fuzz). Professional dermaplaning is so popular that at-home dermaplaning solutions are now widely available.

What Are The Benefits of Dermaplaning?

Improved Exfoliation - my facial treatments normally involve at least two forms of exfoliation. Dermaplaning is almost always one of the ways I exfoliate. Removing the dead skin cells that sit on the outer layer of the skin allows whatever second form of exfoliation I decide to use, to work that much better. I will typically combine dermaplaning (a physical form of exfoliation) with some sort of chemical exfoliation (enzyme, AHA/BHAs or a peel), being careful not to overwork the skin.

Brighter Skin - a deeper, more effective exfoliation is what I’m after, but removing the vellus hair is a bonus. Even though vellus hair is usually fine, for some clients it is dark. Even light vellus hair can cast shadows on the face. This is why dermaplaning (and removing that vellus hair) can instantaneously brighten the skin.

Smoother Skin - a smoother skin surface means better makeup application and improved skincare product absorption.

Dermaplaning vs Waxing?

I have a lot of clients who struggle with unwanted facial hair and many of them have opted to wax. I am not a fan of waxing an entire face in order to remove unwanted facial vellus hair. It can be sensitizing to the skin. Additionally, long term facial waxing with soft wax can distort hair follicles, causing hair to transition from vellus (fine) to terminal (coarse).

Options for At-Home Dermaplaning

I like to see my skincare clients quarterly - that’s blasphemy in the professional skincare world as most estheticians insist on seeing their clients monthly. Without a doubt, professional skincare treatments are critical but they are 20% of the solution. The remaining 80% is in the hands of the client and their at-home skincare regimen. I focus on creating powerfully effective skincare regimens that fit my client’s lifestyle, budget and are focused on achieving their desired results. When my clients are able to achieve results through consistent at-home care, our quarterly sessions are hyper-focused on taking things to the next level (as opposed to always starting at ground zero).

My clients love the results of dermaplaning so much that it’s difficult for them to wait 3 months to see those results only during our professional treatments. That’s why at-home dermaplaning is such a great way to extend in-spa results at home.

I wanted to provide a solution that would produce results similar to those we achieve in the treatment room, but would be safe and easy to use at home. Most at-home tools are simply razors with edges that are sharp enough to shave hair, but dull enough to not cut the skin. While this may be okay for simple hair removal, it can lead to clogged hair follicles (and ingrowns) because razors are not effectively exfoliating the skin.

I highly recommend the DERMAFLASH LUXE+ device because it is so much more than a razor. This is as close as you’ll get to a professional dermaplaning session! It uses sonic technology for superior exfoliation. The new Microfine Edges allows for closer hair removal and the Proprietary Safety Features deliver maximum protection against nicks and cuts. The Replenishment Edges are disposable to ensure a fresh and clean session each time.

Does Hair Grow Back Thicker After Dermaplaning?

The short answer is no. Dermaplaning removes only the very top layer of dull, dead skin cells, build up and vellus hair. Because it only works on the surface of the skin, it is not changing the size or structure of the hair follicle. In turn, it doesn't change the way your hair grows.

Previously reserved for professional skincare treatments, safe, easy and effective dermaplaning is now attainable at home. Instantly brighter and smoother skin is such a gamechanger!